© South Essex Amateur Radio Society 1982- 2017 last update 28th August 2017
G4RSE GX4RSE G6RSE
For Sale or Wanted
International Space Station School Contact
Winter Gardens School 8th October 2014
On the 8th October 2014 we organized another contact with the International Space Station with Students from The Winter Gardens Primary School , Canvey Island, and Pilton Bluecoat School, Devon who were able to ask 24 questions to Reid Wiseman KF5LKC Flight Engineer aboard the International Space Station, it was operated by Members of South Essex Amateur Radio Society using Amateur Radio to contact the Spacecraft as it passes 250 miles above the earth travelling at 17500mph, we accessed remotely a ARISS ground station in California, U.S.A. W6SRJ the school hall was packed full of visitors and members of staff and media we had to share the day with another school in Devon because of the number of schools on the waiting list, great contact, great day.
Expedition 41 crew members take a break from training at NASA's Johnson Space Centre to pose for a crew portrait. Pictured on the front row are Russian cosmonaut Maxim Suraev (left), commander; and NASA astronaut Barry Wilmore, flight engineer. Pictured from the left (back row) are NASA astronaut Reid Wiseman, European Space Agency astronaut Alexander Gerst, Russian cosmonauts Alexander Samokutyaev and Elena Serova, all flight engineers.
List of Questions that was asked by the Students of Winter Gardens School
and Pilton Bluecoate School
1. (WG) - What is the maximum number of people that
can live on the ISS?
2. (PB) - What inspired you to become an astronaut?
3. (WG) - What sort of food do you eat?
4. (PB) - What is your daily routine like?
5. (WG) - If you cry, do the tears run down your face or
just float away?
6. (PB) - Where does all of your waste go?
7. (WG) - How do you get supplies such as food, drink
8. (PB) - What effect does no gravity have on your body?
9. (WG) - How do you get air up there?
10. (PB) - Have you experienced any meteor showers?
11. (WG) - Can you use ink pens when there is no
12. (PB) - Who came up with the idea of a space station?
13. (WG) - When you are in space, how often do you
get to talk to your family?
Pictures from the event on Page 2
Listen to the contact here
14. (PB) How often do you work outside the space
15. (WG) How much sleep do you get in space when
you do not know if it is night or day?
16. (PB) What is the most serious emergency you have
had to deal with?
17. (WG) How did you become an astronaut?
18. (PB) What interesting research have you done in
19. (WG) How long does it take you to get rid of your
‘space feeling’ when you come back home?
20. (PB) How do you get to and enter the space
21. (WG) How do you know what is happening down
on earth, do you get electronic versions of newspapers
22. (PB) What do you do on space walks?
23. (WG) If you were not an astronaut, what would
you have been?
24. (PB) Is it an advantage or disadvantage to have no
Gravity on the ISS.
|RAF Boxted GB2BOX "Airfields the Air"|
|Rayleigh Windmill " Mills on Air"|
|Bay Museum " Museums on Air"|
|Armed Forces Day|
|Sears Field/BBQ Day|
|GB1HB Heavenly Body II 2016|
|Community Archive Open Day|
|Canvey Scouts " Jota "|
|Island Yacht Club|
|RAF Bradwell Bay Memorial Flypast|
|1st Rayleigh Scouts " Jota "|
|Olympic Station GB1HF|
|Heavenly Body II Information Board 2015|
|GB2HB Page2 2014|
|GB2HB Heavenly Body II 2014|
|Canvey Radio Rally|
|Table Booking Form|
|ISS Contact Winter Gardens School|
|ISS Contact Furtherwick Park School|
|Winter Gardens School Page2|
|ISS Contact GB2FPS page2|
|Subscriptions and Payments|
|Club Meetings Archive|
|For Sale or Wanted|
|SEARS Award Scheme|
|S.E.A.R.S Morse Classes|
|Morse Classes @ Danbury|
|My First Ship|
|Ode to the Radio Officer|
|Getting Started in Amateur Radio|